Thing-a-Day – January 8 – making dried flowers/pods more durable
Day 8 of the Thing-a-Day Challenge
Materials: dried daylily pods and acrylic varnish
I have a thing about seed pods.
I collect them just to study their structure for possible future sculptures. But they do pile up, and it would be nice to use them for something from time to time. I used to get daylily pods from my garden, back when we grew daylilies, and these pods are about 10 years old. Time to move them on and collect more this summer.
So I selected a few nice specimens and covered them in a few thin layers of matte acrylic varnish. That soaked them in a flexible material so that they would be less brittle and sealed from damage from moisture.
It took a good part of a day just to seal them, so that was my day’s work – prepping pods so that I could use them for something else later.